Hand Tool SIG meets on the 4th Sunday of the Month at 2 pm.
** The Hand Tool SIG will not meet August or September. **
October 25th Hand Tool SIG: Handsaws and Hand Sawing — How to manage without a bandsaw, chop saw or table saw (mostly)
Interested in learning more about how to use handsaws in your projects? Then join us on Sunday August 23rd at 2pm in the KCWG shop. We will be discussing and demonstrating the use of Western handsaws for breaking down stock, cutting pieces to fit, making long rip cuts and even resawing to make bookmatched panels. A key component of our discussions will be how the handsaw fits in with stationary power tools in the shop.
About the SIG
This SIG will consist of people with an interest in acquiring, making, using, tuning and sharpening hand tools. Members agreed they were more interested in acquiring tools for use, rather than as part of a collection.
- How to acquire the tools.
- How to recognize collectible tools with greater value.
- How much to pay.
Tools that the group might like to make includes:
- Wood planes.
- Handles for chisels, files, saws, etc.
- Marking tools.
Structure of the Meetings
- Demonstrations & Discussion
- Means and methods of using hand tools
- Acquiring and evaluating hand tools
- Relating hand tools to your home shop and the KCWG shop
- Show & Tell.
- Bring your new favorites to share
- Samples of work
The Hand Tool SIG meets monthly in the KC Woodworkers’ Guild Shop on the fourth Sunday of each month from 2:00 until 4:00 unless otherwise posted.
For more information on hand tool SIG, contact Rob Young.